VGM Players on GNU\Linux
From Steak WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Many traps here. I'll add this page to traps section.
- Audacious - Generally works for a couple of formats. NSF, SPC, and PSF. Lacks many formats, though.
- Deadbeef - Similar to audacious
Command Line Players
Maybe you want to play chiptunes on your RPI, or some other ARM device. This would technically allow you to run it 24/7, as its low power. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options. This is a dangerous area!
- gstreamer - todo
- nosefart - 2.9 srcs compile, but fail to find nsf files in argc/argv switch. Comment that out, and it appears to play, but makes no sound output, and time is off by a large margin (very slow).
- mdxplay - error on compile, due to lack of libm, but fixing that, doesn't play on bb.
- VGMPlay - compiles, but has issue out of the box on bb. garbled audio output (only plays genesis .vgm)
- VGMStream - compiles, but only for streamed (not sequenced, i.e. most) vgm
- sexySPC - x86 architecture only. Will not compile on ARM due to nasm asm.
- xmms2 - No plugins in default debian repos (e.g. festalon which supports nsf in xmms is not available for xmms2.) OR doesn't install correctly in devuan beowulf due to gvfs issue.
- https://sourceforge.net/projects/sexyspc/ (readme of src explains only x86 is supported).
Playing vgm from terminal on ARM devices is tough. Beware of the rabbit hole.